Positive phrases which you repeat to yourself which describe how you want to be.
In this group we will reflect on how past negative experiences shaped what you believe true about yourself. Think about experiences from your childhood, with family and school, directed you life. Think about the impact substance use has had on your life; children, significant others, family, work, etc.
- State a negative self-belief about yourself
- Explain why you feel that way
- The group responds
- How can you relate? Notice that many of us have had similar negative experiences and therefore have similar negative self-beliefs.
- Gives a replacement positive belief. One Simple Statement in present tense. This is an affirmation.
- State the new belief.
- Write the new belief down and put it somewhere you will look at it every day.
Examples of affirmations:
- I can have emotions and be safe.
- I deserve to be in a peaceful relationship.
- Things can change, I can change.
- I can be present to myself in my grief.